Saskatchewan and Manitoba
First of all, Jon is thrilled with how the van is driving now. Turns out it was the catalytic converter. Not cheap, but less expensive than the transmission. We go north out of the city and east at Aidrie through Drumheller. It's a beautiful day, and the scenery is equally enjoyable.
We make our way through Drumheller and the valley, and once we're out I the landscape changes quite quickly. The land and sky open up in front of us, and it feels nostalgic to me. There is a quiet beauty about the prairies and it's vastness.
We turn north on a smaller highway, headed for Tisdale. Right before the Saskatchewan border we pass a own called Alsask, (Alberta/Saskatchewan) and immediately after the border another called Manitario (Manitoba/Ontario). Jon takes a picture for a friend who used to play in a band called Manitario.
I've been struggling to finish, or even work on this part of the blog, so I'm going to take that as an indication that I should just move on. I'll sum it up in a few short sentences. It was cold. Hella cold.
Juniper met one grandpa, two grandma's, one great grandma, two aunts, three uncles, two great aunts and one great uncle, several first and second cousins (the youngest being baby Olivia at 3 months!) some cats, some dogs, and a lot of friends. Jon shot a rifle, a dog killed a beaver. We ate the best pizza pie of my youth (still really good), cooked several meals for several different folks. Had a lovely surprise running into my friend Sarah Jane and her husband Robert in front of their house in Canora (my old home town) and had ours portraits painted by her, probably the highlight of the whole trip week! The women in Manitoba honoured us with a shower and I had an excellent time catching up with my closest cousin Genie (Olivia's mom). Juniper turned 8 months (8 months in, 8 months out!) and we each bought a pair of cow hide moccasins.
The prairies. Windy, snowy, cold. Beautiful in its own way. Glad I don't live there anymore.































No comments:
Post a Comment