We're greeted by Mel and Felix in their pajama's. It's 10am. Felix is 2 and looking a little shy in his Mama's arms. Juni is asleep in mine so Mel heads in the house with Jon to start on breakfast. Jon comes back out after a while and says breakfast is ready. The smile on his face tells me it's going to be good. We go in and find the table set. Bacon, egg sandwiches on English muffins and COFFEE! I'm nervous at first (coffee snob) but my first sip tells me they aren't folgers drinkers. It seems Mel has picked up a few tricks on cooking from the big Chef Jeff in their time together. Jeff is in Kelowna shopping for a fishing rod for his approaching trip to Cuba, and Ronin is 7 and in school, so it's just the 5 of us for breakfast. Felix takes to Juni right away, helping me with her toys and stroking her head while I change her diaper. Juni is also pretty amazed by this big kid who can walk and talk and eat on his own. Alas, she is quickly forgotten in favour of puzzles and a miniature lawn mower. Mel changes the record and points to an end table in the corner, "You guys see this antler table?" We look over and I tell her sure, it's pretty cool. She says nothing and I ask what she thinks of it. "Friggin hideous." Jeff brought it home one day, completely enamored with it. Mel says she'd like it better if it lived in Jeff's workshop.
After breakfast we hang out with Felix as he works on his puzzle. Juni says it's time for a real sleep, and the brim on Jon's hat is getting suspiciously lower and lower over his eyes. We retire to the van for a nap and are surprised by how warm it is outside. It's still a grey day, but as we're dozing the sun peeks out here and there, warming the van quickly. We hear a truck driving up the shared driveway and Jon says it's Jeff. He hops out to say hello, Juni and I stay put and catch some Z's.
After we wake we go in, meet Jeff and shower up. Mel takes the dog to the park and Jeff gets busy on some yard work. We learn we are having Shephards Pie made with deer venison Jeff hunted himself. We'll contribute some of Cory's bacon we picked up at Fry's on the way out of town. Jon hangs out on the porch yakking over the fence to Derrick, Jeff's long time neighbor and also a Chef. They tell him about the cider they have been brewing, and are planning to go in to business together. We will sample said cider tonight! It's like the first day of spring here, everyone is bustling about in their yards, raking and tidying up from the long winter.
We debate riding our bikes into town, but Jeff warns us that there isn't much to see or do. We decide to drive to Penticton, about 15 min away. He gives us directions to the nearest health food store. It's a beautiful drive along the lake. One there We buy some road snacks for ourselves and food for Juni. We've recently discovered "tube food". Essentially organic fruit and vegetable purée in a squeeze pouch. She likes them and they're a great distraction for the road, and this store had a huge selection. After a shop it's time for mama and papa to eat. We take a spin down the main drag and find nothing interesting, we're craving Mexican and all we see is Taco Bell and Taco Time. Not Mexican at all. Pass. We go all the way to the end and figure we'll try Carl's Jr. It's pretty good as far as fast good burgers go. Beats Dairy Queen that's for damn sure! All in all Penticton is pretty underwhelming. We grab some food for dinner and head back to OK Falls.
Oh, and did I mention it's flipping beautiful outside!? Sunshine and nearly 20 degrees! So, we're driving down the lakeside road with the windows open and we see some horses. I realize I've never ridden a horse. I make a mental note to myself to put the word out on Facebook to friends that I want to ride a horse on this journey.
When we get back to the house Mel and Jeff and the kids are sitting on the back deck. Jeff pours us some of his cider, and tells us a little about it. They're still in the experimental stages, so it's humble, but good for what it is. Jon and Jeff move to the kitchen and start preparing dinner. They drink some more cider, we crack a beer, our favourite Red Racer IPA. It is damn good. I wish we'd stocked up on more before we left. Juniper and I are playing on the floor with Felix when Mel catches Juni's eye and swoops in to take her on their trampoline in the back yard. I seize the moment of having 2 free hands and bring in our bags. Supper is soon ready, and naturally it is delicious. Prepared by 2 chefs. Venison and beef shepherds pie with steamed yams and a spinach, pear and goat cheese salad. Another guest, Carol arrives. A friend of Mel and Jeff's, and as it turns out her partner owns Thai on the Fly food truck. Small world. She lives in Oliver, just south of where we are and is an event coordinator for the town. She's here to pitch an idea to Jeff and his neighbour Derrick. Of course, being in wine country there are two bottles on the table and they are both out of this world. My favourite of the night is See Ya Later. Very rich and fruity, and actually one of the best wines I've had in a long time.
It's a good thing we decided to dine inside tonight, aside from the rapidly setting sun there are SWARMS of Mosquitos. Alright, not literally swarms, but in the short time that the back door was open the house has become a battle ground. Our background dinner noise in between the conversation consists of slapping and cursing and plenty of spilled glasses in vein attempts at swatting the tiny bloodsuckers. I'm pretty sure I haven't had one mosquito bite since moving to Vancouver Island and tonight I've sustained at least 3.
When all the food is gone we push our plates away and try to get down to the real business of drinking wine and catching up, but are quickly reminded that Carol is here with an agenda. Derrick can't be pulled away from his domestic duties, so it's just Jeff in the hotseat. We tune in and out of the conversation, Mel retires to begin the boys bedtime rituals, Juni busy's herself with Felix's puzzles and we send a birthday greeting to Jon's niece Sasha in Toronto. Turning 7 today. Happy Birthday Sasha!
I spill another glass of wine and tell Jeff a little about my time in San Francisco with Fakir, and I'm surprised to find he knows about him. But not really because I suppose it's his generation that grew up reading about him in Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Juni becomes increasingly more irritated at my flailing attempts to keep her entertained. It's nearly 10 so I make the call to send us both to bed. Ronin is kind enough to sacrifice his room to us tonight. I've got a pretty nasty case of heartburn from all the rich food and wine, a small price to pay. Juni and I bed down while Jon and Jeff clean up and have some bro time. I'm already dreaming about tomorrow's breakfast.





No comments:
Post a Comment