A rough night. We all sleep in until 10. I'm in a bad mood, but a hot shower quickly cures me. Jon makes coffee and breakfast. We eat while Felix paints. I'm watching he and Mel interact, she's a good mom. Felix is polite and kind, and it seems to come naturally to him. After breakfast Felix invites Juniper and I to jump on the trampoline with him, which really means dodging his attacks and laughing at his exaggerated crashes. Jon is practicing the banjo he bought as a going away present to himself. Today's song, Skip To My Loo.
We decide to take a walk to the beach. Juniper is ready for a nap so I throw on the snuggly. I forget we're in the dessert and wear too many layers. I sweat the whole way but it feels good to be warm. We walk into town first because we forgot water and my throat is already feeling like its full of sand. I take a gander around the convenience/liquor store, keeping an eye out for the delicious wine from the night before. No such luck. Jon says the winery is just down the road so we should go straight to the source. We do spy an IPA that looks rather tasty. Full Nelson Organic IPA. We'll be back for that one.
When we get to the beach I immediately kick of my shoes and head for the water. The warm air is deceiving and I'm quickly reminded that winter has just barely left. The water is cold! Jon says since I didn't get in the ocean I have to get in every body of water we encounter along the way. I promise to jump in the ocean next time we're in Victoria.
Jon keeps remarking how nice it is here, and how good the warm air feels on his knees. He reminds me that we may just find somewhere we like better than Toronto and decide to live there.
We sit down at a picnic table for some time and talk. He tells me a few facts and statistics from the baseball book he is currently reading. I'm barely listening. We talk about the Slowcan Valley and going to Costa Rica with Chantal and the kids this winter.
Jon gets a text from Jeff, he'll be here in 45 minutes to take him to Oliver. Jeff's restaurant is having a long table dinner tonight and Jeff has asked Jon to roast the suckling pig, a task that is right up his alley. We walk back to the house and make a quick lunch. Juniper wakes up and has a quick visit with Papa before he's off. Mel and Felix are going to pick up Ronin from school and then to Penticton for groceries. I consider going with but would rather relax on the patio. So we do just that. Juni plays on a blanket with Felix's puzzles and I surf the net and download some movies. The family dog Winston cuddles up beside Juni and she buries her face in his shaggy fur. I get a message from Jon saying that Sonny, the lady next door, wants to lend me her car so I can go to the dinner in Oliver tonight. She gets home at 5 o clock, about the same time Mel and the kids get back from Penticton. I share a Stella with Mel while we get ready and chat with Sonny and Derrick about the farm and the winery. They have a 17 month old daughter named Ruby Mae! Juni is delighted by her. Sonny invites us to check out the farm where Derrick works tomorrow. I check my watch and realize we're cutting it pretty close to make it for dinner so we throw ourselves in the car and head out. It's 25 minutes on the highway, and a beautiful drive. The road hugs the lake for the first half then dark, looming cliffs pop up in front of us. Juniper falls asleep just as we are pulling into Oliver and it's about 5 more minutes to the restaurant and winery. I'm nervous. I feel like I'm underdressed and won't fit in with the high brow crowd of the valley.
We walk into the restaurant and the server directs us to the table, where they already have a high chair for Juni. There are 10 other guests, and they all appear to be wealthy retiree's. I start to sweat. Here I am, fussy baby, blue jeans and holes in my cardigan. They in their designer glasses, boutique outfits and heavy jewellery. This was a mistake. I awkwardly sit down and Juniper becomes instantly restless. For the first time I'm afraid to nurse in front of a group of people. She's the kind of baby that still needs to nurse down for a nap and this will be a nightmare if I can't. I feel like we will just be an inconvenience to their evening. The lady beside me smiles and introduces herself and the woman seated next to her. They are retirees who just moved from Edmonton to Summerland. They all know each other. I'm the odd one out. She asks if I live in the valley and I tell her our story, in transit from Victoria to Toronto to live with our family. I tell her my partner is friends with Jeff the chef and has cooked the suckling pig we will be devouring tonight. They seem impressed and call me their guest of honour. They are all goo goo over Juni, and she plays into their cooing by showing them her gummy smile and clapping. Ok, this isn't so bad. I begin to think I may have misjudged them. Jon emerges from the kitchen looking very humble. I noticed there isn't a plase set for him and I ask him if he'll be able to join us for dinner. It doesn't appear that way and I get anxious again. I feel as if I'll be intruding on their fancy dinner if I whip my boob out and feed my baby in front of them. Another couple joins the table, closer to my age and I learn they are on a blind date. I'm relieved to not be the most awkward person at the table anymore. Jon senses my anxiety and returns to the kitchen to ask Jeff if he will be able to join me for dinner. When he doesn't immediately return I prepare to bite the bullet and fend for myself. The conversation at the table turns to the respective colors of the retirees convertibles and golf club memberships. I tune into the conversation the young couple are having and they seem to be hitting it off. They both ride motorcycles and are well-traveled. Jeff emerges from the kitchen to welcome us to his restaurant and tell us about the meal we will be sharing tonight. As an appetizer bacalao fritters and foraged Watercress, The main course Portuguese style suckling roasted pig. I order a glass of wine, Cabernet Franc as suggested by our server. The appetizer is served. I look around trepidatiously at my fellow guests wondering if there's something of a ceremony to happen before we all begin eating, as no one has touched their plates yet. Finally we all tuck in to our cod fritters. They're quite delicious. One of the servers brings round aNother place setting and sets it up beside me. I ask her if Jon will be joining us now and she smiles and tells me he will. I beem inside and the second he sits down I immediately put Juni to my breast. After they clear away out plates they start serving the fingerling potatoes and kale, and the roast pig arrives as well. The pig is very tender and juicy but the cracklings are what really shines through for me. Chewy and crunchy both the same time and packed full of flavor. Jon is pleased with his work and so are the other guests. They begin to ask him about his food truck and his experience as a chef. They all share their experiences of street food in the different places they've been in their lives. Redfish Bluefish is mentioned in we're asked if we have ever been, Jon smiles and says of course. After the dessert is served Jeff comes out of the kitchen again and introduces Jon, myself and Juniper and tells them a little bit about our journey across Canada and thanks Jon for his contribution to the dinner tonight. Jon excuses himself and goes back to the kitchen to hang out with the boys for a few minutes before we leave. I strike up a conversation with the ladies next to me about food trucks, mainly the bylaws in Victoria and Vancouver. They're very interested and friendly, and I feel a bit foolish for my initial snap judgment. Coffee is served and we excuse ourselves and thank them for their company tonight. They wish us well and congratulate us on our new ventures and baby.
As we step outside the restaurant doors we're both amazed at how warm the night air is. John takes the drivers seat and we head back OK Falls. I wish the sun was still up so we could see the cliff faces again. When we get back to the house smell is reading aloud to Ronin on the couch. The Order of the Phoenix. Ronin is very excited to see Juniper and asks her to come sit beside him on the couch. We hang out in the living room for a little while before we all decide it's time to go to bed.
As I crawl into bed beside my beloved, I recognize again that I am grateful for the life and and experience I share with Jon. For all the people I know and can now call family, and all the cool things we have done together. Grazi Cosmos.














No comments:
Post a Comment